Sunday, October 4, 2009

New Orleans

We left the kiddo at home and went on a vacation at the first of September. BYU was playing Tulane and Kelly looks for every opportunity to get back to the New Orleans area where he served his mission. This is our 3rd time back so we looked for some new attractions to visit that we hadn't been to before. Unfortanely it rained the entire time we were there so we didn't get a ton of great photos, especially in the french quarter. We started out & drove through the styx to all the areas Kelly served in such as Turkey Creek, Eunice & Opelousas. On our way to Baton Rouge we headed to Avery Island to the tabasco manufacturing plant. Here are some bottles on the line.

Here we are in the visitors center.

This is a plant that the red peppers grow on. They were a lot littler than I thought they would be.

Here's Kelly outside of the country store. They add tabasco to everthing at this store. We tried ice cream, coke, chilli & salsa. I was feeling a bit sick after we left.

We then headed to Baton Rouge. It was raining so hard we didn't get to walk around the temple grounds so here are some pictures from the car. It is a beautful temple and it was closed for cleaing the weekend we were there so we were also not able to do a session.


My favorite part of the trip was our swamp tour. We were able to see a ton of gators swimming around us on our boat. Here is the biggest one we saw. He was 10 feet long and weighed about 500 pounds. Our captain and him were "friends" so we got a good look at him and even got to touch his tail. Here we all are before we got on the boat.

Here is the big gator approaching the boat and then enjoying some marshmallows from the captain.


Here we are with a lovely gator head. We do have one of these at home in a box...I refuse to display it.

I even got to hold one a live one!! Look how brave I am.

The guys went to the BYU game (I could only take one football game in one weekend)and the ladies and kids went shopping. We met up with Heidi, my friend now living in Texas, and here we are in front of the French Market.

A trip to New Orleans is not complete without a stop at Cafe Du Monde for some beignets.

Our last place to go was an NFL Saints game. It was an interesting experience with a lot of drunk people.


This was a nice getaway before the baby comes!!

1 comment:

Brittany Stucki said...

Looks like fun!! Definitely nice to take one last trip before another kid comes along. I love the alligator head. I probably wouldn't display it either.